Fee Protection Insurance
As of April 2009 HMRC are able to visit business premises to inspect records covering all taxes including corporate, income, PAYE, NI, Capital Gains and VAT. They can now also issue written queries before you have even submitted your annual tax returns.
Anyone that pays tax can come under scrutiny. Every year, HMRC starts enquiries into thousands of personal and business tax returns and accounts. VAT and PAYE payments are also thoroughly checked.
The aim in every case is to COLLECT MORE TAX
Most enquiries are generated by computer “risk profiling” and many are selected completely at random. As a result, HMRC sometimes picks the wrong targets, Even if you have done nothing wrong, the taxman will not give up and will still try hard to find errors.
The questions asked by HMRC are usually very detailed and time-consuming to answer. The costs of defending you can easily run into thousands of pounds, even if little or no extra tax is paid at the end of the enquiry. These costs are not covered by the normal annual fees paid.
Is there anything you can do?
Yes, for a small fee, from *£97 per annum, you can subscribe to our Fee Protection Service which will cover you for the work and costs of defending you in the event of a tax enquiry by HMRC.
- We will defend you should you receive any correspondence or visit from the HMRC
- The potential high costs of professional fees for that defence will be claimed under our insurance policy
- We provide this service with one of the UK’s largest providers of Fee Protection Insurance and associated advisory services.
Our insurance offers the ultimate comprehensive fee protection providing £75,000 limit of indemnity, no excesses, no inner limits (except SCR and Judicial Review at £5000) and includes cover for Schedule 36 Interventions.
The cover is:
- Dealing with any correspondence from HMRC
- Attendance at any meeting with HMRC
- Appeals to the First Tier or Upper Tribunal
It includes cover for:
- Corporation Tax Self Assessment Full & Aspect Enquiries
- Income Tax Self Assessment Full & Aspect Enquiries
- Business Inspection Notices under Schedule 36 (Interventions)
- PAYE / NIC Employer Compliance Visits and Disputes
- Value Added Tax Visits and Disputes
- IR35 Disputes & CIS Disputes
- Repayment claims
- Special Civil Investigation and Judicial Review (Indemnity £5,000)
- ...any written enquiry from HMRC
- Pre-existing enquiries or disputes
- The defence of criminal prosecutions
- Investigations carried out under Section 60 of the VAT Act 1994 (Fraud)
- Any taxes, interest, penalties and fines or any other duties that may be imposed by HMRC
For more details about the cost click here.
To subscribe to the service, a cheque for the amount due should be sent to our contact address.
Require more information?
If you would like more information or would like to speak to us direct then call us on 01636 526 929. Or if you would prefer, ask us a question online.